Tourist attractions, hotel resort and best things to do while in Reykjavik, Iceland
Reykjavik is both the capital of and the largest city in Iceland. The city is famous for its numerous tourist attractions, both historical and cultural. You can be sure that if you visit it, you will not lack fun things to do while you are there.
If you are an avid adventurer, you will find that there are many opportunities and places for you to explore.
The same goes for if you are looking for a quiet or romantic retreat as there are different places and things that you can visit and do in the city with a significant other.
Tourist attractions in Reykjavik
- Hallgrimskirkja Church: This is one of Reykjavik’s significant landmarks, and you can see it from almost anywhere in the city. The church has a main chapel which you are free to explore, and it also has a gift shop. You can purchase something in the gift shop after exploring the chapel. To get a perfect and stunning view of the city below, do not forget to climb to the steeple.
- Downtown Reykjavic: Exploring the city, particularly downtown Reykjavik can be a source of major fun. This is especially the case for people who enjoy shopping a lot. There are numerous boutiques and shops where you can buy different items. Aside from that, there are also a lot of eateries where you can get tasty food to satiate your hunger while you are exploring.
- The Settlement Exhibition Museum: The settlement exhibition museum offers tours, but then you can also explore it by yourself as it is not difficult to do so. Visiting the museum is the best way to learn about the culture of Iceland. The Settlement Exhibition museum contains various artifacts that relate to the first Viking settlement. Aside from that, there are digital displays there that will show you what primitive Icelandic life was like.
- The Perlan Museum of Icelandic Natural Wonders: If you are unable to visit most of the natural wonders of the country, do well to stop in at this museum. It offers various exhibits that showcase natural wonders like cliffs and volcanoes.
- Videy Island: The beauty of this island makes it a place you must visit in Iceland. Videy island has different natural elements, ranging from vegetation to wildlife. You can visit it so that you can take awesome pictures and be at home with nature if you are a nature lover. There are also various trails that you can explore either as a pedestrian or a cyclist.
Best resort hotels in Reykjavik
In case you are planning to visit Reykjavik, and you need to know hotel resorts in which you can stay while you are there, here are some of the best ones:
- Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton: The nightly rate at this hotel is $213.
- Grand Hotel Reykjavik: Its nightly rates are $134.
- Midgadur by Center Hotels: Nightly rates are $163.
- Eyja Guldsmeden Hotel: Nightly rates are $159.
- Black Pearl apartment: Nightly rates are $461.
- Midgardur by Center Hotels: Nightly rates are $163.
- Hotel Orkin: Nightly rates are $255.
- Icelandair Hotel Reykjavik Marina: Nightly rates are $95.
- CenterHotel Plaza: Nightly rates are $140.
- CenterHotel Arnarhvoll: Nightly rates are $158.
Best things to do in Reykjavik
Even if you travel to Reykyavic for business activities, you should not miss out on the fun activities that you can partake in during your stay. Some fun activities that you can engage in to make your stay in the city enjoyable and memorable include:
- Walk around the city: If you want to know the culture of Reykjavic, it will be best if you explored its streets on foot. Be sure to have some cash at hand as different boutiques and shops sell various items that you can purchase. Also, there are beautiful street arts in the city that you would appreciate during your exploration.
- Explore Reykjavik’s vibrant art scene: You can find Reykjavik’s art scene not just in Harpa and in live performances, but also in museums, outdoor sculptures, galleries and street art, all of which are widely available around the city.
- Visit any of the public parks and gardens in the city: You can spend a day relaxing in natural settings if you visit any of the numerous parks or gardens within Reykjavik.
- View the northern lights: The best way to see the northern lights is to take one of the northern lights tours. This beautiful natural phenomenon is best viewed by the seaside at Seltjarnarnes.
- Visit any of the numerous swimming pools in the city: There are lots of local pools in Reykjavik that you can visit and spend some time so that you can connect with and learn about the culture of the place.
- Visit any of the tourist attractions mentioned above: From the Hallgrimskirkja church to the Settlement Exhibition Museum, Reykjavik boasts of different beautiful tourist attractions. While on your visit, ensure that you visit any of them and, if possible, go on tours so that you can get the best out of your visit.
- Book a local activity: There are many fun activities that you can carry out, including helicopter rides over the city, whale watching and puffin tours, horseback riding tours, to mention a few. All these activities are fun-filled and will provide you with remarkable memories of your visit.
- Experience the nightlife of Reykjavik: Reykjavik has a vibrant lifestyle, and so there is no end to the amount of fun that you will have if you go to any of the parties that take place in the city at night. There are various bars and cafes that offer live music late into the night, especially during the weekend.
- Most popular restaurants in Reykjavik
Reykjavik has its fair share of fantastic restaurants where you can eat tasty and nutritious dishes. Some popular ones include:
- Snaps Bistro-Bar.
- Old Iceland.
- Dill restaurant.
- Baejarins Betzu Pylsur.
- The Coocoo’s Nest.
- La primavera Ristorante.
- Bergsson Mathus.
Vegan restaurants in Reykjavik
There are also several restaurants in the city that serve delicious vegan dishes. Some of them include:
- Café Gardurinn.
- Emilie and the cool kids.
- Reykjavik kitchen.